So, Pat Mills – probably the comic writer who most inspired, influenced and guided me – has taken up blogging!
I imagine that the response from readers, and the opportunity for dialogue, has been somewhat positive, as now he has launched a Pat Mills WordPress blog. Here he is posting all sorts of fascinating stuff about comics and characters he has been involved in, starting with the genesis of 2000AD and the creation of ‘Judge Dredd’ – and given the recent release of the Dredd movie, it’s most timely!
So why does Pat Mills matter? Well, consider his involvement in…
- Girls’ comics – long overlooked by too many comic historians
- Battle, Action & 2000AD – three ground-breaking, gritty comics born in the belly of the IPC beast through the midwifery of crazed freelances and subversive staff members
- ‘Charley’s War’ – the best comic strip about war bar none, threaded through with humanism and righteous rage
- Creators’ rights – behind the scenes, artists and writers are treated like indentured labour by massive publishing corporations
- Pushing for recognition for unsung or unfashionable talent – like Gerry Finley-Day and Angela Kincaid
- Diceman, Crisis & Toxic! – three great stabs at pushing UK comics into fresh directions
There was a great two-part interview with Pat last year by Matt Badham on the Forbidden Planet blog, which dealt with his thoughts on a wide range of topics. It’s rather long but I heartily encourage you to read through the whole thing… (1) (2)
Anyway, back to Pat and his new blog…
- Dredd – The Killing Machine
- Dredd – The Lawman Of The Future
- Dredd – Better Dredd Than Dead
- Dredd – Judgement Day
- Dredd – Exit Wounds
- Dredd – In The Shadow Of The Judge
- Dredd – Dredd & Darkie’s Mob
- Torquemada – The Swinging Monk
- Dredd – He Is The Law!
Edited 27 & 29 September and 1, 3, 4 & 6 October 2012 to add links to new excerpts